Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Something old, something new!

I''ll start this post with an old favorite. One that I've read several times and is a regular on the book club scene. The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo is a quick read that can fuel long discussions about following your dreams and the experiences faced along the way. The beauty of this book is that it is simple enough for a younger reader, but one that as an adult I find new meaning with each time I read it. Truly one of my favorites.
The book Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin is an engrossing tale of a boy born in communist China who is granted the once in a lifetime opportunity to dance with a group under the reign of Mao Zedong. Providing insight into life in poverty and the intense discipline of the world of ballet this memoir is one that I would recommend reading, and am considering reading for a second time. Although this book is not short, I finished it in a matter of days. The author's voice made me feel as if I was sitting face to face with him as he shared his story of heartbreak, triumph and hope born out of adversity.


The first couple of books that I checked out from the library were toddler books, so I thought that I'd note them on my blog as well. The first is How do dinosaurs say goodnight? by Jane Yolen.

This fun rhyming read is silly enough to engage even the most antsy toddler. It is a wonderful tool for helping little ones get to sleep as well as teaching them about all different kinds of dinosaurs. The illustrations were beautiful and funny enough to leave me smiling. I now love saying, "Good night, good night little dinosaur" to my own little one!

Second was The Napping House by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Dan Wood. Our favorite part of this story is not the sleeping part, but the grand ending where all those in the napping house wake up. Usually I won't post spoilers on my blog, but I figure that giving away the ending of a quick picture book probably won't hurt anyone. I also really loved the illustrations in this book. The story had the aspect of repitition that my son loved, as well as the aspect of surprise. An all around fun read you won't mind pulling out again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment