Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wow, I've been reading up a storm, but not blogging!

So a couple of new titles since I've last blogged. I finished yet another one of Krakauer's novels, this one called Into the Wild tells about a mans journey into the Alaskan wilderness and hypothesizes to the sad cause of his death. It was an interesting read that left me wanting to care less for material things and to appreciate solitude more. I really like how he weaves many people's stories into his novels. I also think that he has shown me that a book doesn't have to be fictional to be a page turner. I'd wholeheartedly recommend this one.

I also finished the last two Artemis Fowl books, and thought I'd write a note about how I felt about the series as a whole. I loved the first few, but by the end I sort of lost interest in the plot and was just racing to finish. I find this phenomenon with any series of books, it just seems like by the end I am just ready to be done. The same thing was true as I whizzed through the last of the Harry Potter books. I just wanted to reach the end. Also, I loved how Colfer created this other world with fairies etc. in Artemis Fowl, but by the end there were just too many mythical creatures for me and I sort of lost interest. There were demons, nymphs, dwarves, trolls, fairies, pixies, centaurs etc. It just got to be too much, I'd rather keep it simple.

1 comment:

  1. I think I totally know how you feel with the Artemis series. I read the first three super fast - and loved them - but by the time I was half way through with book 3, I was ready for them to be done. Then had a month or so break before I could keep reading . . . then read book 4 and then it took me almost another month to read book 5 . . . but I think that not reading them so close together was a good thing -- and made me want it more . . . that is probably why the books come out a year or more apart! That way you have a break and then you can get all excited about it again.

    ReplyDelete